Monday 27 January 2014

The plague of auto-correction

One should always take pause prior to hitting the send button on one's mobile phone.  At the weekend, a friend was due to visit with her family and we thought it would be a great idea to go for a walk and have a pub lunch.

Given the wealth of rain we've had recently, the prudent advice was to bring appropriate footwear for the occasion, so I sent a text to that effect, or at least, that was my intention.  Instead of the abbreviation for Wellington boots, my text read. "Don't forget your willies".

Before I could repair my gaff, she responded with "I don't have a willie".  In fairness to her however, she did arrive with her husband and two sons.

2 comments:

  1. Craig

    Along a similar line I was arranging a meeting with a client and a land agent the other day. We had fixed the time when the land agent emailed to say he would be up to 30 mins late. I replied to say that was no problem because the client and I had plenty of things to do. It was just as I was about to press send that I noticed I had actually written that we had plenty of thongs to do. A totally different meaning.

    Andrew B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Australia you might have got away with it, over here, I'm not so sure...

      Delete

The Lady's for Turning

  With more spins than a child’s gyroscope on a Christmas morning, Liz Truss’s premiership is looking decidedly revolutionary, but only in r...